How to place chicks with a hen????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkowa, Mar 23, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I have a broody silkie hens shes been broody about 2 weeks now and I was planning to get 2 chicks that are about 2 weeks old can I place them with her??? she will sit on anything and ive put a recording of chick chirps by her and she runs right out of the nest box to find where the noise is would she be fine if I put the chicks with her? and what would be the best way to do it? would she also be ok to have the chicks with the rest of the group? she is the head of the group so I think it would be fine but idk... we also have no rooster. any help thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should work fine. Slip them under her just after dark. If she accepts them, which mine have, they will hopefully be fine in with the rest of the flock. I also prefer they grow up while in with the whole flock. The mama watches out for them, and when she decides she's not a mama nay more and the chicks are only partly frown, the flock has already accepted them, so you don't have to deal with integration.

3. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ok thank you! im getting a slw and a speckeld Sussex thoses chicks should be fine under my silkie right?

4. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Yeah, your silkie will be like "My babies hatched!" they don't care what breed or anything. Some people even had chickens hatch duck eggs.

5. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    haha ok I got my first chicks last year at this time and now im ready for my new babies!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A friend of mine had a broody turkey hatch some of my chicken eggs when I didn't have an incubator.
    The turkey never has forgiven her for taking the chicks away.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would monitor them closely. Its usually only recommended to give chicks to a broody that are a few days old or less. I think giving her 2 week old chicks may be a problem.

8. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ok thanks and here they are! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Mama took the girls in right away! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]