1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

How to plant mint around your coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RickSr, Jan 14, 2017.

1. RickSr

RickSr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    They say that you can keep rodents away by planting mint around your coop, and that chickens eat mint. So, how do you plant mint so that your chickens do not destroy the plants? Mint is perennial, and so if planted correctly, you will not need to plant it again. The mint needs to be planted around the coop, but what do you do to protect the plants from being destroyed by your chickens?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could either plant in pots, then transplant, or grow in situ, but protect with chicken wire or whatever you have.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    First make sure you want the mint and don't mind it spreading everywhere. It's a very invasive plant. Having grown a number of varieties, it's easy for me to believe that mint is the one plant that could stand up to chickens.

Secondly, while mint is a mild deterrent to rodents, chicken feed is a huge attractant to rodents. Do the math. You'll end up with mint that you can never get rid of and you'll still have rodents.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by