how to play with non people loving chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fzouk, Mar 25, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Hey guys! I have 20 Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks (4 days old, 2nd day with me) and one Lakenvelder- at least that's what I think he/she is. From what I hear they are not people-loving chickens but it's fine because I need them to be devout tick eaters mostly. I want to get them comfortable with me holding them and touching them though, so I need to handle them now. Is it OK at this age to get them out of the box and away from the heat lamp for short times? I don't want to chill them since they're so little still but could I let one or two out to hop around the room a little? How do you play with chicks? My only chicken experience was when I was a kid and we got all our chickens already grown up so we never had them as babies.

How do you guys play with yours? I'm also curious to talk with silver spangled hamburg people to see how they've been for you since all my knowledge of them is book knowledge.

Thank you guys so much!
    Frances

2. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    I don't think there's a problem taking them out, just keep paper towels handy to clean up after them. I would carry mine around and talk to them while petting them or offer them treats. I have one pullet that will sit on my hand or shoulder while I walk around.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I have always handled my chicks, yet there is one that just doesn't like people. It happens, but yes you can take them out and keep them close to youo - in a pocket, in your shirt, under your hair (mine loved that), etc.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ok so i was dyslexic there for a second and though the title was
    "how to play with non chicken loving people"

i must have alot on my mind.... ugh

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:so glad I wasn't the only one....that's the same title I read...then when I read the first post, I wasn't sure anymore, but didn't go recheck the title til I read your post....lol

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    It is fine to take them out for a short time. When a hen lays and the hatch they are off the nest to eat, drink and poo so it shouldnt matter. I like to wear sweatshirts with front pockets and if it gets cold i just stick them in there(watch your hands afterwards i have gotten a handful of poo before). They seem to love just being around someone all the time.

7. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Hahaha- I guess my title wasn't exactly crystal clear! Thanks for reading past that though and also thanks for the advice! I'll start playing with them more. Good suggestions! They seem terrified when I get near their box but maybe that will lessen as I am around them more over time.

Frances

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It's not you - it's the Big Scary Hand. It resembles a predator coming at them from above.

I have laughing hystericall in these threads. Everyone here has such a great sense of humor.

Polish = Pom Pom Heads [​IMG]

9. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Oh it will, soon they'll start running around when you walk by wanting treats. You may even get one that jumps on your hand whenever it goes in the brooder.

10. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:It's not you - it's the Big Scary Hand. It resembles a predator coming at them from above.

I have laughing hystericall in these threads. Everyone here has such a great sense of humor.

Polish = Pom Pom Heads [​IMG]

I call Polish Fraggle Chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by