1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to position an oddly shaped aircell egg for lock down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alexia, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    My shipped egg has an oddly shaped aircell (It's on the bottom of the egg -like you would expect -but it also runs on the entire side of the egg - from bottom to top). My questions are:
    1. What is the best position to place this egg during lockdown? The egg has beed incubated on it's side in a mini brinsea. I placed the egg for lockdown with it's "side aircell" facing up. Is this correct?
    2. What is the likelihood that this egg will hatch? Will it most likely need assistance?

Please help!!!!!

2. ImDH

ImDH New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm not in lockdown yet and its day 10 and I have heatlhy embryos but the air cell is dipping on the side...already over half the egg. I'm stalking this to see if you get help.

3. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I am on day 19 today ...the only one out of 12 shipped eggs to survive (a white silkie). I am getting 2 baby cochins tomorrow to keep her company in case she/he does hatch.
    What kind are you hatching? I am assuming yours were also shipped eggs.
    Last egg I had with the same weird aircell when into lockdown, internally pipped and then died. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by