How to predator safe a coop

Fuchsia

ℙ𝕚𝕟𝕜
Jul 19, 2020
Upstate NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hello :frow
We have cameras out in our woods and around our barns and coops so we know if we have predators.
And today we got an ermine on one of the cameras! 😬 We had an ermine last year and it was horrible, taking/killing like four chickens every night!
So my question is, how do I predator safe my coop?
Thanks!

We have cameras out in our woods and around our barns and coops so we know if we have predators.
And today we got an ermine on one of the cameras! 😬 We had an ermine last year and it was horrible, taking/killing like four chickens every night!
Thanks!
Hardware cloth over any chicken wire. Be sure they cant dig under. Keep doors and windows secure at night. And keep any feed that may attract predators stored away.

What did you do last year when this happened? IMO, the best way to deal with these little SOB predators is to get rid of them completely. Re-predator proofing your coop will not solve the problem if they are still wandering around on the outside looking for the smallest of holes to get in.

Food for thought, Weasel's are very similar to mice when it comes to them reproducing. Good luck and I hope you can find a way that works for you to keep your flock safe. :)

https://www.livescience.com/57475-weasel-facts.html

Thanks!
Eek! That sounds scary! I'm currently sealing up all holes and wrapping my entire aviary with hardware cloth to predator proof. I plan to dig and make an L shape out of hardware cloth at the bottom. It's a lot of work!

Eek! That sounds scary! I'm currently sealing up all holes and wrapping my entire aviary with hardware cloth to predator proof. I plan to dig and make an L shape out of hardware cloth at the bottom. It's a lot of work!
Can you please post pics of your project. :thumbsup :)

Back
Top Bottom