How to preserve Farm Fresh Country Eggs for up to 9 months

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by RoosterRod, Feb 5, 2015.

1. RoosterRod

RoosterRod Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2014
    Eastern Indiana
    How to preserve Fresh Eggs

I have just stumbled upon a you tube video that shows you how to preserve fresh eggs up to 9 months and they don't have to be refrigerated. Go here to see how this is done--http://cacklehouse.com/farm-fresh-country-eggs.html --scroll down to the you tube movie. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I seen the same suggestion on one of the prepper shows. It makes sense, but I haven't tried it because I get fresh eggs daily at the time. It is very good information though. I may try that with a couple dozen to see how it goes. The show I seen suggested they were good for 6 months. Thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Thanks for sharing Roosterrod! that's a pretty cool idea. I liked the bucket mouse trap video too. someone had mentioned it to me years ago but I wasn't quite sure how to make it. I just saw a vole hanging out in the chicken run a few days ago. I can put one in the coop at night without worrying about hurting my chickens! [​IMG]

4. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    I have a cousin, lived and traveled on a sailboat for several years, they kept eggs like that. I think they may have used vaseline, but not sure. I remember she said eggs had to be fresh, and not previously refrigerated, dont know how true that is though.

5. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Love it! Will be doing this in the fall so that I don't have to buy eggs this winter.

6. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    I came to this thread because I searched for "egg preservation" here on BYC. I wanted to share a video my partner found last night. It's AMAZING and I am absolutely going to try this.

Mind = BLOWN!

Especially that last one.... Slaked lime AKA Calcium hydroxide. Mixed with water, preserves eggs for 8 months or more with no refrigeration...

1 person likes this.
  7. steve102

steve102 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks.... That was cool

8. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    The original link is broken. [​IMG]

9. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    The video I linked to is still good. And it covers exactly how to do this. You'll need some slaked lime. Easy enough to get at a hardware store that has concrete and mortar supplies. That's all you need.

10. SunshineAnShade

SunshineAnShade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Chicopee Ma
    Sharing this! Cant wait to try it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by