how to prevent a aggressive cockerel

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
ok so i have one VERY aggressive cochin/pekin bantam cockerel and we bought a black silkie pullet but turned out a male so i want to prevent him becoming wild and attacking he just started to learn how to mate and is still learning and he doesnt like to come near us or be held anything like that so what can i do to not make him aggressive? i heard treat roosters like chickens and treat hens like pets but im not so sure what to do

All4Eggz

๐•๐•–๐•ค๐•ฆ๐•ค + โ„‚๐•™๐•š๐•”๐•œ๐•–๐•Ÿ๐•ค = ๐“๐“ต๐“ต ๐“˜ ๐“๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ญ
Premium Feather Member
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
ok so i have one VERY aggressive cochin/pekin bantam cockerel and we bought a black silkie pullet but turned out a male so i want to prevent him becoming wild and attacking he just started to learn how to mate and is still learning and he doesnt like to come near us or be held anything like that so what can i do to not make him aggressive? i heard treat roosters like chickens and treat hens like pets but im not so sure what to do
Mating is normal. It's not considered 'aggressive' behavior. If he is afraid of you, and doesn't want anything to do with you, that's a good sign that he's not aggressive - to humans at least :)

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
Mating is normal. It's not considered 'aggressive' behavior. If he is afraid of you, and doesn't want anything to do with you, that's a good sign that he's not aggressive - to humans at least :)
i just dont want to fail him hes a very cute little guy i know mating isnt aggressive i thought it might help to paint a picture of his age

All4Eggz

๐•๐•–๐•ค๐•ฆ๐•ค + โ„‚๐•™๐•š๐•”๐•œ๐•–๐•Ÿ๐•ค = ๐“๐“ต๐“ต ๐“˜ ๐“๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ญ
Premium Feather Member
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
so do i just ignore him?
So how is he aggressive?
If he attacks you and/or chases you, then you should NOT ignore that and make yourself look bigger. Some people say to cage 'em up for a few days, while others say you have to show him that YOU'RE the boss by pushing him down to the ground for a few seconds.

If I get an overly aggressive rooster- Off with the head. But in your case, I'm not sure if that would be your favorite option :)

SilkySilkie

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
Vic,Australia
So how is he aggressive?
If he attacks you and/or chases you, then you should NOT ignore that and make yourself look bigger. Some people say to cage 'em up for a few days, while others say you have to show him that YOU'RE the boss by pushing him down to the ground for a few seconds.

If I get an overly aggressive rooster- Off with the head. But in your case, I'm not sure if that would be your favorite option :)
no my silkie isnt aggressive but my cochin bantam is very aggressive so do i just fight back or? he runs and chases but i try to ignore him was that wrong?

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
I'd leave him alone right now, if he's just started mating he's hormonal and isn't in his right mind.
No matter what methods you implore right now aren't going to be met with the results you're wanting in fact he'll most likely see you as a challenger to his manhood.... everything is going to challenge it you, air, leaves.
In short, his lights are on but nobody is home.
So my advice is don't stress about it right now, give him a few months to grow into himself.
Even the best roosters are obnoxious at the start of maturity,we as keepers just got to try not to join them.:)

Top Bottom