How to Prevent Angel Wing

Vineyiea

Chirping
Jan 5, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So this is our first year with geese-and they hatched 12 goslings, 9 of which are still alive. However 4 out of five have pretty bad angel wing-we feed them what one feed store around us suggested (waterfowl starter and grower which has 20% and 18% protein meant for ducks) along with free ranging our property (we have 25 acres of property, 15 is meadow/fields for them to eat. They also have a creek with lots of creek type grasses around it. Unfortunately I didn't notice the angel wing until too late, plus our geese aren't exactly tame enough for us to grab a gosling and walk away with, so wrapping them isn't feasible anyway. The gosling are being raised as meat birds, so the angel wing won't affect them in the long run but we want to make sure they are healthy and have a good life. What can we do to prevent angel wing in the future years? Also, what should we be feeding the adults long term and the goslings when they are young? We keep getting so many conflicting answers from the two feed mills around us (very few people have geese around us). Thanks in advance for any help!

My first two Pekins got angel wing on Kalmbach's all flock non-GMO crumbles that is maybe 17% protein? I found a 4-H duck breeder about an hour away that sells Front View Feeds duck mash feed that they make a mess with and it stinks when wet, but.... it's 15% protein and the angel wing disappeared and their feathers are gorgeous. We used it from about 7 days old with the next group and have not had any angel wing.

There are some recipes available online to mix up food yourself as well as some calculators you can use to formulate a food with the protein needed using different grains. If you can come up with some options, a feed mill will sometimes mix it up for you if you buy in bulk or you can buy the individual grains and mix them yourself.

I switch them back to all-flock once they are done growing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom