1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to prevent dirty bottom on pigeons?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by appps, Apr 19, 2016.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I have a female pigeon that seems to keep getting a big poop build up on her bottom. I have to give her a good bath to clean it all off. She did it a couple months back and have just noticed it's like it again.

She is on pellet feed with a grain corn etc mix as a daily treat.

Is there something missing in the diet?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Pigeon feed such as this is what serious pigeon racing fanciers use to help insure good health. Not available at all feed stores however and it is more pricey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    That looks like what I have as a treat. They go mad for it. So at the moment I'm doing 90% pellets and 10% that. I was actually wondering if that was causing the problem duh! So if I were to mix some of that and the pellets up 50/50 it won't hurt them at all? I'd though it was a bit like just giving chickens scratch mix and no pellets.

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    I'd use probiotics n cut out corn unless cold out. Apple cider vinager tablespoon per gallon of water may help. If probiotics don't help it maybe worm related.
    That mix looks to have three types of corn and peas, safflower, wheat, Milo. I substitute white pearl millet for corn as a carb etc. My birds always get poops on corn. Mostly I feed layer pellets if not a straining kit to fly, then swith to seed mix.

5. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I do have some probiotic powder as I bought if for a chicken had crop surgery. Ill give them a dose.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You might try cutting or removing some feather around her bottom area.

Is your bird a fancy show bird? Sometimes with their different feathers they can get dirty.

If all your other birds are OK I don't think its the feed.

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

She is an American fantail.

8. AZbirddad

AZbirddad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Arizona
    Dot feed it too much. Let it clean up the feed you give it that way it won't only pick out the goodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by