How to Prevent Egg Burying

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    My coturnix love to bury their own eggs, this makes it very difficult to find them, without searching through several inches of straw. Is there any way to prevent them from burying their eggs?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well i always have to dig to find mine i dont think you can stop them unless you dont use bedding.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Hide thier shovel. [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

my indoor coturnix pace back and forth so much they will eventually cover their eggs as well, it's kind of annoying but the bedding i use is Stall dry so it actually keeps teh eggs clean [​IMG]

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA

my indoor coturnix pace back and forth so much they will eventually cover their eggs as well, it's kind of annoying but the bedding i use is Stall dry so it actually keeps teh eggs clean [​IMG]

its not that funny..

6. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN

its not that funny..

Well do you have a better suggestion? [​IMG]

7. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I went with wire floors on my cages, above the bedding, and use a shoebox with wood chips in it. They lay the egg in the nest box, so I only have the shoebox to sift through. I know roughly when they lay the eggs each day, and I tend to collect the eggs right away.
    -Spooky

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks have been burying their eggs, but since it is always in the same spot and it is buried in pine shavings, I don't worry about it too much. I imagine if the kept burying them in different spots that would be really annoying and I would end up with rotten eggs.

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania

its not that funny..

No one asked your oppinon [​IMG]

10. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:its not that funny..

No one asked your oppinon [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by