How to prevent leg injuries caused by mating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by apan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. apan

apan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    I have an enormous Pekin drake, a Pekin duck, and 4 runner ducks. They are all 5 months old. The last two weeks, I noticed the smallest runner duck limping around. I thought it was a niacin deficiency, so I isolated her and gave her food with brewer's yeast while she recovered.

Shortly after recovery, I noticed her limping again several days later. Earlier in the same day, I observed the Pekin drake mounting her and some of the other ducks. I believe now that this is what is causing the leg injuries.

I'm assuming the answer is "no," but is there anything I can do to keep the ducks from getting injured in this way?

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

It might be that he is too heavy for her, or that she is getting bullied by the other ducks and they are hurting her legs. But another possibility is if there is any debris that they could be tripping over or stepping on.

Have you looked at the bottom of her foot to see if there were any wounds?

3. apan

apan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    I have inspected her feet and legs many times. There are no visible wounds. All the ducks seems to get along well. The only contact I've observed is the mating, which, given the size of the drake, makes it seem likely that he is too heavy for her and this is causing her leg problems.

If that is the case, is there anything I can do to help? I hate having to isolate her every day and keep her from free-ranging with the others.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hmm I recommend separating the pekins from the runners all together, maybe making a large run or aviary for the pekins and still allowing the runners to free range. Other than doing this I don't see how it could work out, since it seems that the male is too heavy for her he could damage her leg beyond recovery if this continues.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. apan

apan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Thanks for your help!

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It does sound like a possible breeding injury? Like a sprain to get away from him...
    Mine breed only in the Kiddie pool...My Welsh Drake has tried to breed my Call Duck hen but he has decided she is too much work so breeds my Buff and Pekin/Buff instead....Young Breeding Ducks are very clumsy and the hens are not always willing to be bred...

Once things calm down and everyone matures it usually goes smoothly...

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I keep the drake away from the small ducks - in our case, the size difference could be lethal, so I run two flocks.

I know you know this, but for the record - we are responsible to keep every member of the flock safe. Their lives depend on us.

8. apan

apan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Thanks, Everyone,

I don't know if it's the "maturity" aspect that one mentioned, or that I added more brewer's yeast to the feed, but the injuries have stopped. Hope this thread is useful to someone else who encounters the issue.

Thanks, all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by