How to prevent mating.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenNamaste, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    I have a mottled cochin who sadly came to us with canker. We have been able to keep it under control by treating her first attack of it with flagyl.. And we do copper sulphate each month to prevent the rest of the flock from getting it.. But, we have one rooster in with the girls.. And I am afraid of him mating with her and passing it to the other girls.. Is there anything we can do to prevent it?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Find a way to separate the rooster from the rest of the flock

3. ChickenNamaste

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    Well yes that's the obvious answer to it.. I was kinda hoping for some other suggestions.

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Sure its obvious (and simple). No need to over analyze it. Have you separated him so your fears aren't realized while you are waiting for other suggestions?

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    This condition is not in my opinion a contagious disease. If it were contagious then your other hens are as likely to get it as your rooster is. Perhaps the better part of kindness is to do the ultimate humane thing by the hen who you said is a threat to your entire flock.

6. ChickenNamaste

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    She is not old enough yet, but the time is drawing near.. She has only had one episode of it.. And no one is showing any signs. I was mainly curious if they make any kind of diaper for her or something, and if any one has had any luck. We really don't want to get rid of her. We can't exactly boot the rooster out of the coop. But, if there is no other option, It's looking like that's what were going to have to do..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by