how to prevent mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backyardchickenfarmer, Apr 12, 2009.

1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Hello, How would i prevent mites? is there anything i could put on the chickens to stop the mites? or something to detire them from going on the chickens?Thanks

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

When I clean there coop I use a little Sevin on the floor, perches, and nest boxes. I have yet to have a problem with mites doing it this way.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds a little like you have been having a problem. If so, dip all your birds in a good flea and tick dog dip, like Adams. Make sure you do this on a warm day so they can dry before night. That, along with spraying the roost with WD40 and dusting the coop with sevin dust, should do it........Pop

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Using Adams is not necessary to dip
    just buy the can of spray on
    catch the bird hold a finger over the vent as yiou don't want the spray to go up in the vent
    spray good and let it work

best way is to take a box and put 1/2 bag of soil or sand and add 1 cup of sevin 5% or Diatomaceous earth food grade
    not pool grade de
    go to my web site and read articles on mites and lice

5. backyardchickenfarmer

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    OK, Thanks, I also heard of people who put a drop of frontline under the chickens wing, If thats true, how many times should i do it?

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I spread food grade DE all over the coop and roosts when I clean it out. I also add the DE to their sand/dustbath box, so they dust themselves with it. I haven't had any problems so far and my chickens are getting a chemical free treatment. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I just sprinkle Mule Team Borax around the coop and never have a problem

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I use Prozap poultry dust (with permethrins) only if I find evidence of mites. I dust the vent area and under each wing, and again in 5 days to kill any hatched mites.

I use DE (diatomaceous earth) in my coop shavings and in my run floor as a preventive.

Good luck!

9. backyardchickenfarmer

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    OK, were can i get food grade DE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by