How to process large turkey alone?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
Hi all,

I have only one turkey.. which I need to process soon. I don't want a really big setup since there is only one. I'd prefer not to buy a pulley, build a setup, etc..

I am a woman and the turkey is pretty big. I can still pick it up but I will not be able to hold her by the legs!

Is there any easy way to do this? I think the easiest is to attach a cable to a ladder maybe, and pull it up.. but I tried that with a duck and the rope kept slipping out of its feet, I could not hang it by any way. Then I started using the killing cone, but I'd need to build a heck of a big cone for that turkey..

I know to watch out for the wings already. And I know what to do after its dead, it's really only the killing part I am unsure of. If I had 20 I would build a great setup, but it's winter here and I have only one to do, so for those reasons I don't really want to put 10 hours on building a setup!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have only one turkey.. which I need to process soon. I don't want a really big setup since there is only one. I'd prefer not to buy a pulley, build a setup, etc..

I am a woman and the turkey is pretty big. I can still pick it up but I will not be able to hold her by the legs!

Is there any easy way to do this? I think the easiest is to attach a cable to a ladder maybe, and pull it up.. but I tried that with a duck and the rope kept slipping out of its feet, I could not hang it by any way. Then I started using the killing cone, but I'd need to build a heck of a big cone for that turkey..

I know to watch out for the wings already. And I know what to do after its dead, it's really only the killing part I am unsure of. If I had 20 I would build a great setup, but it's winter here and I have only one to do, so for those reasons I don't really want to put 10 hours on building a setup!

Check out this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047622/processing-big-birds

Also look through the Meat Birds ETC forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Back
Top Bottom