how to properly dust a hen with mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennenmom, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Hennenmom

Hennenmom New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Hi Everybody,

about 2 weeks ago I learned that some in my flock had mites and I did clean the whiole coop, treated it with the appropriate powder from the farm store etc.... BUT my biggest problem was dusting my not so tame hens. I got them when they were 19 weeks old and even thought I succeed with about 2 of the 7 to pick them up for short periods of time, they are not really liking too much being held or petted and they sense if you do it with a purpose and really fight back.

First I tried it myself, but since they would not allow me to catch them I could only throw some harmless DE over them, which is not strong enough to do the trick. Then I had to get a friend and we had to really chase them , catch them and try to apply as best as we could and they most certainly would not hold still enough so one could examine them in peace to find out which are affected and which aren't ( some seemed fine). It is now almost two weeks and I want to do one more round of treatment to make sure they are fine - any advise how to do this more efficient and a bit less traumtic for them as well as me?

any help appreciated!
    thanks
    Ilka

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    The easiest way to catch a chicken is to do it when it's dark out. If you can have a helper hold a flashlight, you can pick a hen off her roost at night and treat them then.

Good luck!

3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Some people swear by Sevin dust for mites.

Some type of sprinkling container might help too. You know those "Lawrey's" Garlic salt containers with the large sprinkle tops? I soak and clean them out well, then put DE in them and label the container, and store it away from damp areas so it won't clump. It's fairly easy to "flour" the chicken then. I tried using a powder puff once, but the dust flew in different directions when patted and was harder to control where we wanted it to be. Best of luck!

4. Hennenmom

Hennenmom New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    thanks - yes, I was planning next time after dark - my friend didn't have time that late, but I will insist on it for next time. I was soaking my hen with bumble foot right now and while doing I could check her feathers a bit and so far all little critters seem to be gone - is one treatment already sufficient? in another hen they were all gone too...hmmm - so far so good..
    thanks
    Ilka

5. Hennenmom

Hennenmom New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    do you lift the feathers and try to go inside or do you just sprinke over them? I tried to lift the feathers a bit and tried to get some under - especially at the vent area.....am I going overboard here? I am quite new to all of this. I have them now for 1.5 years, but with the first batch I got I did not have any issues for a full year. when I got 3 more things somehow changed.

thanks
    Ilka

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I would check again in about two weeks, in case there were eggs laid on the feather shafts that will hatch. And yes, lift the feathers and try to massage the dust into the skin (but don't breathe any!)

7. Hennenmom

Hennenmom New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    oyy - massaging them in? In spite of my friend holding the hens I was only able to throw that stuff in some areas under the feathers, but even that was a struggle and we both got a nice anti-parasitic lung treatment in the process. Well, next time I will defintely do it in the dark and maybe that will be easier - thanks everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by