how to properly trim her beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tinkspirit70, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    My cochin hen almost looks like she has two upper beaks...it looks like a two pronged fork I guess is the best way to describe it. What is the best way to fix this? Should I try to file it with a nail file or clip it? If I should clip it, How do you know how far to go? her beak is black so I am not sure how to know where her quick is. Also if I do mess up is there a remedy to stop the bleeding? I saw on another post when researching that corn starch works??? I just want to be prepared. Thankyou in advance for any help :eek:)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Corn starch and flour both work to some extent, so does a human styptic pencil, and so does the stuff they sell at feed stores to stop bleeding.

You didn't mention that she is having trouble eating. I wouldn't trim it at all unless she is. They can bleed dangerously from beak trimming.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  3. Tinkspirit70

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    She does eat or at least it looks as if she is, but when I picked her up she felt a little thin ( I could feel her breast bone pretty good) to look at her you wouldnt think so. She is very fluffy and to me gorgeous ;o) I thought maybe I could just try and file it? I hate the thought of cutting her beak and hurting her but I will if I have to. Thanks for your reply :eek:)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    The seabright in my picture has a twisted beak and we trim his. I HAVE done the terrible cutting of the beak too close and they do bleed,...a LOT. (I was so scared!! Needless to say we have a steptic pencil in the chickens' first aid box now)

ANYWAY,...we use a pair of small kitten nail clippers. (Our vet used the same thing the first time he showed us how to do it) They look like little scissors with a funny tip. The bottom bleeds MUCH easier than the top. And, start by only clipping a little.

Good luck!!
    [​IMG]

5. Tinkspirit70

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    Thankyou, we are gonna give it a go tommorow after the husband gets home from work, I will be sure to be very careful and go a tiny bit at a time :eek:)

6. vaultmom

vaultmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Auburn
    When you trim the chicken's beak that has the scissor beak, do you trim the bottom straight across. I have always just clipped straight across--but it always bleeds--a lot. Somewhere I heard someone say they used a dremal to grind it down--has anyone tried that? Did it work? Did it Bleed? My Ameraucana rooster is in need of having his trimmed again soon.

7. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I was gonna suggest that you use a drimel. I have to buzz all my beaks becuase I hate it they they peck each other. They have pleanty of room of room and everything. I have heard its because they are diffrent colors. the drimel works great and you can see the quick as you buzz down just wtch for the little pink showing through and stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by