1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to protect against eagles?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by angidee, Jul 21, 2011.

1. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    We have lost a leghorn to an eagle and I am now looking for suggestions on how to protect my flock from future losses.
    They do free range during the day. About half of it is wooded, the other half is wide open.

Can you hang things? Will a scarecrow work? Noise makers? Any suggestions would be helpful, as I have been told once they discover a buffet is available they will return for more.

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I have lost a duck to a bald Eagle so I know how you feel. Can you make a big run connected to you coop? We put Home depot string across the top of My duck yard from the fence to the barn. Heres a pic, it's not a very good one though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what we did: ( we used about 5 spools of it) We bought 5 spools of yellow waxed string at home depot and tied it to the fence and went up the the barn and nailed nails in the top and looped it a few times tightly around them and then to another nail then back down to the fenced and tied a knot. Hope you understand what I just said. [​IMG] (The nails were almost a foot apart.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks for the pic!!! You put a lot of work into that!
    I was kind of thinking of doing something similar, but I would have to stake a pole and connect from there.
    Does it make it difficult to mow your field (if you do)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by