How to protect chick's wound site?

starryhen

Songster
13 Years
Apr 24, 2010
One of my chicks was misplaced during the night and was pecked by another hen. Then to my consternation the other 4 chicks pecked the wound larger. I separated the wounded chick, applied calendula ointment first and then vit e mixed with a drop of tea tree oil. The wound is healing up amazingly fast. However, there is no fluff there and the chicks peck it. The tea tree oil kept the others from pecking her for an hour when I put her back in with them but I need something to keep the other chicks from pecking her bare skin for longer periods of time and wounding her again. I have considered a bit of gentle paper surgical tape with something under it to keep it from sticking to the bare skin. Did I read somewhere here about using vics vapo rub to deter pecking or is that too strong? I can't find any bitter apple at the feed store - but would that be the best? The little wounded chick is much, much happier and stronger with her "mom" and her fellow hatchlings.

I have used SMALL amount of Vics rub b4 with goo results ...also Vet Wrap (the self sticking ...stretchy wrap) works well depending where the wound is.....
Pecking can be hard to stop, and is natural...Make sure there is Plenty of room for all the birds and using a RED lamp helps to greatly reduce the pecking !

Quote:
My personal policy is to keep injured birds separated from the others until the wounds are fully healed. I'm not sure whether you're saying that the wound was or wasn't completely healed. If it was, it seems unusual that the others should continue to peck at it unless the area is still red. Some folks recommend putting "Blue Kote" on reddened areas so that the violet coloring masks the red area.

One question that must be asked is: do the chicks have enough room in the brooder/coop? When chicks are bored or crowded, they are more inclined to peck at one another (hence the horrific practice of dubbing battery chickens' beaks). If they are crowded, the bullied baby has no place to hide either.

I would definitely separate out the injured bird for a while longer and assess the situation, not returning her until she's 100%.

I hope this helps. Good luck with her!

Hi The little chick is just about all healed up - they are pecking at the exposed skin on her back. They are just 3 days old and not venturing away from the mom. Mom is not venturing out into the world (free range, here) yet. I can just try all the ideas here and see what works the best. I like the idea of changing the color. In the meantime it is in the house under a light and seems content but is weak (?). I will continue to put her out with the others for short periods of time during the day to maintain her acceptance by the group and it seems to strengthen it ...

If she appears weak, try giving her infant Poly v sol (without Iron).
Also make er some scrambled eggs with buttermilk and feed that to her too;)

get a pair infant's sock and cut holes in it for the head and wings & legs -- think of it as a 'body sock' for your chick. Make sure you leave plenty of room for it to go potty. You might go through a few pairs before you get just the right fit. Worked for a pair of my chicks last year until I found out who the offending 'picker' was. I'm not sure if the broody hen will accept it with a sock though. Good luck!

What good ideas! I have been opening the door to the coop which is multistory but small, 4x4 feet. My hens usually just spend the night there. The mama hen, though, won't take them more than a foot outside the door.
The injured chick is quite animated for increasing amounts of time with them and then I bring it in. I did wonder if the chick feed was bad or something. The other chicks got scratch, too. I started giving weak chick small bits of scratch and it gobbled them up. I will try the scrambled eggs recipe (I, too, have more than enough eggs). I love the idea of a chick body sock. Weak chick is doing fairly well and it is over 100 degrees here so I may hold off on that unless I have too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom