1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to protect free ranging chickens from hawks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Adamschickfarm, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    I will be living on 10 acres with 2 wild hawks. Any ideas on how to protect my beloved (soon to be) free ranging chickens?[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Hawks are difficult to deal with. I have many around my territory and I just can not let my birds free range. Some people rely on a good rooster or guard dogs or even llama's. If you have an area that you can cover with poultry netting, this will keep the hawks out. You might want to do some reading in the Chicken Predators and Pests section in the learning center on some possible tips and hints on keeping your flock safe...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

You can also post this question in our Predators and Pests forums section here on BYC...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Adamschickfarm

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Oh and I would certainly get a large rooster! They are the best hawk protectors!

6. Adamschickfarm

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    thank you to all

7. chickadee43773

chickadee43773 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Guernsey County, Ohio
    [​IMG]Thanks for bringing this topic up. I plan on letting my chickens free range too. I know we have hawks in the area because I just saw one on a trail cam last week!

8. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    I've lost two juveniles to a hawk just this week [​IMG] We thought they were big enough to leave the grow-out pen, but apparently not.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and welcome to BYC

Hawks the only way to deal with them is to keep your chickens locked up or invest in some Ravens to fight them off .......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by