how to protect lowest girl on the pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by micromike, Nov 7, 2010.

1. micromike

micromike New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    one of the girls is getting pushed out quite a bit is there any yhing that I do ? she is start to look a little lathargic

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I have one too hope there is an answer!? Mine has been pecked bald also. Ideas?? [​IMG]

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Watch them closely and see who the 'peckers' are....take them out for a couple of days. Messes with the pecking order. Plus, gives the pecked on girl a break.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure there are two feeders and waterers so she (hopefully) can't get bullied away from them.

Usually this arranging of the pecking order resolves itself, really, as painful as it is for us to watch. If they draw blood, though, you should remove whoever you have to -- always best to remove the bully, not the victim, if possible. Some Blu-Kote on a small pecking wound may allow you to put them back; ordinarily they won't peck a wound with Blu-Kote on it.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:
    ddawn wrote:
    Be sure there are two feeders and waterers so she (hopefully) can't get bullied away from them.

Usually this arranging of the pecking order resolves itself, really, as painful as it is for us to watch. If they draw blood, though, you should remove whoever you have to -- always best to remove the bully, not the victim, if possible. Some Blu-Kote on a small pecking wound may allow you to put them back; ordinarily they won't peck a wound with Blu-Kote on it.

Good advice here!​

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Make sure there is more than one feeder (set on opposite ends if you have an enclosed run) available is a good start. That way the low girls can have a chance to eat without getting beat up.
    If it's just one chicken doing the bullying, you can isolate the bully for a few days (in a dog crate or something w/food/water). Sometimes that brings that bird down on the pecking order.
    There's also something called pinless peepers, that are kind of like blinders for horses...google them or do a search here on BYC.
    Over a weekend, you can sit out in the run w/a spray bottle and a book and spray the meanies (this helped quite a bit with one of my bullies) when they go after the weaker one(s).
    Also, if your birds are contained in a run, make sure there's plenty of roosts, stumps, things to do and barriers...

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    OH, I just had a thought.

I was the the floor covering place and looked out the door and they had the crates that tile comes in. It is made of wood but not fully enclosed. They gave it to me and I came home and put it on some bricks to keep the wood off the ground. Then I put a top on it of some old tin we had. I made a Chicken Cabana. They can go in and out between the wood cross pieces. They can get on top which they really love. But it makes a really nice 'entertainment' center for the chickens.

Just saying because someone said distractions and barriers.....you could even put a second feeder inside. Oh, and I put a roost inside of it also. Just another place for them to hang out.

8. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I totally agree with the multiple feeders. I had 5 feeders for 6 hens when I first integrated three with three others. The higher up hens ran around trying to cover all the feeders but after a while they gave up. I used the cheapie kind that you put bird seed in (or see in hamster cages) and attached them to the sides of the chicken wire on all sides of the coop. After a a few weeks I abandoned these and they all now eat from the same large round feeder.

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If she is already lethargic, then she has been excluded from the food/water long enough that she is starving. Ordinarily, I would also recommend taking the bully out for a time-out, but in this case, I think the picked on girl needs to be removed and cared for separately and fed so she regains her strength and has more of a chance of defending herself. More feeders are a must when she goes back in the pen or she will starve to death. Don't forget to put in extra waterers also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by