How to protect my chickens from predators

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ilene, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ilene

Ilene Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2013
    Hi all,

Excited to join the group.
    I live in Rockland country, NY & plan on getting chickens in the spring. Can't wait.
    I will have a coop and a fence around my yard & will allow them to free range during the day.
    Besides the coop & fence, any suggestions on improving their safety from predators.
    The thought of them being killed is very upsetting & I would like to take whatever precautions are necessary
    in order to keep them safe.

Thank you,

Ilene

2. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    a good dog will keep the varmint away. In addition, there is a product called Nite-Guard, about $20. These are LED lights that used the solar power they collect during the day and starts to flash from dusk to dawn. Get a few and hang outside your fence. Most varmints think these flashing thing are human eyes watching them.

Welcome to the website.

3. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have been pleased with the performance of electric poultry netting. I have a building that the hens go into at night from a free range area that is fenced with a type of netting where every other "wire" is positive and every other one is a ground. The hens have been using this system for three months with no losses. I will not be able to use this system when the snow falls. The cost is about equal to a livestock guard dog. The dog will give your flock a wider area to roam.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are a few articles on the most common predators and how to protect your flock in the Learning Center. Look under Maintaining a Healthy Flock. Enjoy the site and best of luck with your chicken ventures!

7. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I keep a loud radio playing 24 hours a day in my barn. The hens don't mind. I keep my pens closed up tight. I also walk my dogs around the fence and let them do their business. This sends a message to most small critters.

8. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I keep a loud radio playing 24 hours a day in my barn. The hens don't mind. I keep my pens closed up tight. I also walk my dogs around the fence and let them do their business. This sends a message to most small critters.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! I second the electric fence and a large dog or two if possible. Check out the Predator and Pest board for ways to tighten security on your setup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by