How to provide grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ted Brown, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Winter has started, ground is frozen and covered in snow. My covered run area (underneath coop) is a base of gravel/sand and covered with mulch, leaves and straw to a depth of ~18". My flock has two groups - seven 26 week old pullets and eight 6 week old chicks; the older ones tend to spend their day in the run area, the others tend to stay in the coop.

I want to ensure that sufficient grit is available, propose to put clean construction sand in a plastic container strapped to an inside. I have crushed oyster shell in a container strapped to a wall, could mix sand in with that?

What is the best way to provide any needed grit for the flock?

Shadrach and nchls school like this.
  2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    When I offer grit I use a feeder that does not allow the birds to scratch or dust bath in it.

FarmerGirl101 and Shadrach like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sand is not large enough to act as digestive grit.
    http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week. Toss some of the larger stuff out with the scratch once a month or so.

Shadrach, Sequel, DobieLover and 2 others like this.
  4. silkiekeeper

silkiekeeper Songster

May 16, 2018
    SE Minnesota
    My Coop
    I keep feed, grit and calcium in PVC feeders.

Attached Files:

Sequel and Merci BeauCoop like this.
  5. Thanks.

What do you use for grit? I have a separate container with crushed oyster shell always available, one of my suppliers says this will suffice as grit.

Lizzy733 and Sequel like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It will...kinda...it breaks down fast(much softer than granite)
    plus you don't want non-layers eating that much calcium.

blackdog043 and Sequel like this.
  7. I will ask about granite grit at my suppliers.

Will they take what they need if I provide it in a separate container from the oyster shell or shall I mix with their feed?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Sequel likes this.
  8. silkiekeeper

silkiekeeper Songster

May 16, 2018
    SE Minnesota
    My Coop
    This is the grit I use. I keep feed, grit and oyster shell in separate containers. They will take some when they need it.

Attached Files:

Sequel likes this.
  9. Funny I was searching and found that brand. I am up in Canada and they do not seem to have a supplier here, will reach out and ask them. Also looking for granite grit.

Thank you.

silkiekeeper and Sequel like this.
  10. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    I have a little rabbit feeder in the run. Currently it has a mix if oyster shell and grit. I will refill it soon and do a better job of separating the two.

Attached Files:

50-45-1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: