1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to "put down" hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TGreenhut, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    My silkie hen has been sick for a long time. Her only symptom was diarreha but now when I found her today she was laying in the corner, practically just skin a bones she is so skinny, and she can barely walk. We have tried everything (such as worming multiple times) but she is just suffering. I feel terrible seeing her like this. Is there a way I can just put her down that doesn't include anything bloody or "graphic", if you know what I mean?

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:There are lot's of ways... I'm not sure which one is the most humane, though...

3. redneckrooster4x4

redneckrooster4x4 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    i know what youre going to think about my suggestion, but when you think about it, its not all that bad. we used to use this method on sick animals we've trapped etc. Alot of people just told me to throw the cage in harrisonville lake, but i could never ever do that, so heres what i do.

just get a hose from the exhaust pipe of the car. get it so your silky breathes them in. all that will happen is she will just fall asleep and not wake up [​IMG] pain free.

i know it sounds cruel, just trying to help, but its up to you wether you want to do it

4. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Quote:Ok [​IMG] would you put her down or just let her go on her own?

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Actually if you get a sturdy plastic bag put her in it and let it fill with exhaust from the car a sick hen will go real easy. I tried it with a vigorous pain of a rooster and it wouldn't work, he'd bust his way out of everything and practically come back from the dead.

The other thing I've done is a careful pellet shot to the back of the head, right behind the comb. Make sure it's a good powerful pellet gun. I got this one at Walmart some years ago. It was one of the cleanest, merciful kills I've made. It was a lamed up, sick rooster, a good one too. I fed him little bits of his favorite (cherries) and let him watch the view. It was just like Lenny in Mice and Men.

She's not interested in any kind of food? She's probably about ready to go then. I don't think it would be a painful way to go, just lack of food like that. I wonder if she became an internal layer or something.

Well, give her a nice long hug, rub her face, ears and earlobes and see what she thinks about that.

6. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Quote:Thanks so much for the advice! This tears me up [​IMG]

7. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    .22 short behind the ear, back of head ,,,,like a switch,,you need to do it though, it's all part of the responsibility and History of animal husbandry,,it's difficult but all part of it

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:yes [​IMG]

9. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    I was just about to, went outside and found her dead [​IMG] .

RIP beloved Zenia

[​IMG]

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by