How to put weight on bony roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thefishery, Jan 21, 2013.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I've got a bony rooster. We've wormed him and he's been on some injections from the vet for a cold which he's better from, though I think he needs some more. He's always been thin since we've gotten him. I've been giving him chick starter since I read on here someone suggested it. He gets corn and treats but his breast bone is still very prominent. I can't feel any meat around it. How can I put some weight on him?

2. bubblesegg

bubblesegg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Caifornia
    it may depend on what breed he is because every breed is different. Hen scratch is supposed to keep a bird fat for colder seasons. hope i helped!

3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks

4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    Add a little water to his starter feed and pour vegetable, olive or coconut oil over it and stir it in. This should help add some fat onto him.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I got one of my skinny chickens (and a rescued pigeon) fatter by feeding them lots of crushed peanuts, shelled sunflower seeds, and that chick starter.

Also I noticed letting them have good exorcise to flap the wings and fly about will help them grown the breast muscles.

Some birds - like some lucky people - will always be on the thin side. I have a couple that are like that, but they are very healthy and produce good eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by