How TO Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KalikoFarms, Sep 28, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I ment to ask this with the other post.....I have a silkie that has eggs that should be hatching today and I have Marans in the bator hatching. How do I put the chicks from the bator in with the silkies that hatch? Is it possible?
    Thanks
    Rita

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sneak them under her during the night. But if you do that before her eggs hatch, she may abandon them, so timing is the key.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Once her babies hatch you should be fine. How far apart are they? I did the same thing with twice to my Ms. Cruella she loves all the babies the same, as chicmom said do it at night.
    Michele

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Yep. Night time is important, because sleepy chickens aren't grumpy... If they still reject them, one thing I read about is stealing one baby, and giving back two or three with the one you stole... She will be so happy to have her regular baby back, it is unlikely that she notices the additional chick or two.... [​IMG]

5. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks every one, one of my silkies is due to hatch today. So at the most the chicks will be 2-3 days apart

Rita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by