How to Raise a Lone Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncgnance, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Actually I think that raising Little Bit by herself is harder on me than on her. But, I do have a few questions. #1 Do baby chicks help keep each other stay clean? Her bum stays messy. I clean her every afternoon when I get home. Is that the right thing to do? And also, she has gas. When she poops, she passes gas first. Is that normal? God, its hard raising an only chick. I never noticed these things with my other chicks. Anybody out that have any answers? I'm sure there are...

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I have raised a lone chick. Sweetest chicken I have. Umm... If her bum is poopy, turn down the heat, and stop feeding her treats. Put a mirror and a stuffed animal with her in her brooder, and handle her lots, like while you're home, on the computer, watching tv, even in a box in the kitchen while you are cooking dinner. Worked for me. She should stay clean herself, you might have to pick some pin feathers in her neck/head, but the rest she should be able to take care of herself. The only times I have had a chicken pass gas is when they haven't pooped for a while, like if their vent was clogged or if they are broody, and only get off the nest every 2 days.

3. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I'm not feeding any treats, only chick starter with water added to make it a little softer. She
    s 7 days old today. And she did have pasty butt, although that has cleared up, and she's pooping steady now. But her butt has poop stuck to the feathers every day. As for the gas, its really funny how she sort of squats down and gets ready, then she poots real big before she does her business. Otherwise, she is really growing and doing well.

4. bobbieguyette

bobbieguyette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I have raised lone turkeys ducks chickens and geese and one thing i have found that helps alot is to give them something to cuddle up with a small stuffed animal helps alot and keeps the lonely peeper company:D

5. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I do have a small stuffed puppy that my best friend gave Little Bit, and she sleeps on it alot. She also has a mirror that she talks to all the time. Thank you both for your help. I just I can assimilate her into the flock when the time comes.

6. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am raising a BLIND lone chick who is now 6 weeks old It is doing really good. I placed an old fur coller in the cage for it to snuggle up to but it prefers to roost. No id of the sex yet. It gets really excited when I bring one of the other chicks in for a visit. Really cute to watch the interaction and closeness and gentleness of the other chick . It is as if the other chick knows. When I am home I kep the chick real close to me and I do talk to it and hold it all the time

DeeDee

1 person likes this.
  7. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    This thread is so sweet, makes me love chicks even more! And its so nice to see that there are such caring people out there. [​IMG]

I had a lone chick that I had to help out of the shell. His feet were terribly curled, and he had the messy poopy butt all the time. I ended up having to cut some poo out of his feathers afte a while. He is a big healthy boy now, and his toes straightened out.

ncgnance, sounds like you're doing a great job, I wouldn't be too worried about her. [​IMG]

8. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thank you, Countryroad, I'm doing the best I know how. And DeeDee, your story is so touching. Good luck with your baby.

9. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks ncgnance,

It has been hard at times but this lil chick is determined to survive. I could tell as soon as it hatched that it was blind. We do everything possible to give it as normal a life as possible. I take it outside daily so it can be in the yard, take a dirt bath, just enjoy the outside. The mother rejected the chick as soon as it was hatched. I think she knew something was wrong. It has no problem eating or drinking as I make sure its food and water is always in the same place at all times. When outside it makes me sad to see it scratch around but not know to eat grass, bugs etc. I havent figured out how to get it to do that. I tried putting grass in the food dish but I think the texture is so different it is always still in there. I just hope I am doing the right thing by keeping the chick. If it is a female I think it will be easier then if a male chick. So in the meantime we just carry on and give plenty of love.

DeeDee

1 person likes this.
  10. reneshay

reneshay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    endearing, uplifting threads like this are what keep me coming back to backyard chickens again and again... i don't have chickens yet...but will have in April...3 rhode island reds, that I'm purchasing from a local farm here in ny's hudson valley. I'm afraid to try to raise chicks being a first-timer... so i'm starting with 4 week old chicks... (hope they like me!)

anyway-- just wanted to express how wonderful it is to find an online community filled with so many kind and compassionate people.

can't wait to come back and read progress reports on the chicks!

and now i'm going to go try to figure out how to add a signature line to my posts...

toodles

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by