how to raise a vantam chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gaviocks, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gaviocks

gaviocks New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    anyone know here how to raise vantam chicks? looks like my cute vantam hen don't know how to take care of here cute chicks. I want tot help because I want to see this chicks grow bigger every day even if it will just took them an inch to grow but I don't know how to take care of them and one thing they are very small.

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

do u mean bantam??

3. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

hehehe [​IMG] that's got to be it. b &v are so close on the keyboard. [​IMG] I was wonderind what breed Vantam was. Some kind of miniature bloodsucking fowl [​IMG] just look on the threads for brooding chicks. bantams are taken care of real similar to standard size, only you have to be more careful they don't drown in the waterer and that they can acess food being so tiny. Why do you think she's a bad mom? does she pick on them or just ignore them?

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

"bantams" lol, are just like standard birds except as said in the last post they can drown easy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. gaviocks

gaviocks New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry for the spelling. [​IMG] Your right v&b are very close. My hen is ignoring her chicks that's why I'm a bit concern with her poor little chicks.

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If you want to raise them yourself, you can take them from her and put them in a brooder of some kind--a cardboard box, plastic storage box, cage, whatever you've got that has some room for them to move around in. They will need chick food, a waterer that they can't drown in (I like to use the water bottles made for rabbits and hamsters, they learn to use it if you push their beak against the spout a couple of times.), and a heat source like a lamp that they can get under if they are not with their mom.

7. gaviocks

gaviocks New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    thanks. I guess it's the same raising them with normal chicks. Just asked about how to raise them because I thought they are not normal because of their cute size.

8. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Bantams are small birds (typically 16 to 22 ounces when adults); thus, the chicks are going to be smaller than large fowl chicks.

Gail

9. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck with your cute little babies! I'm sure if momma isn't giving them enough attention you can step in and take them away, or leave them with her and move the whole bunch into a brooder hen and all! Just make sure you show them where the food and water are.

I don't have any, but I hear many bantams are more sassy than larger fowl. Maybe some kinda short man complex. Anyone know if that's true?

10. gaviocks

gaviocks New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    thanks there friend. yeah these kind of chicks are a bit sassy but I love watching them walking in their new place and I think they don't need their mom anymore but for second time this hen will produce some chicks again maybe she already knows how to take care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by