1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to raise any poultry chicks to be hand reared?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunshine ducky, Feb 13, 2017.

1. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hey everybody! I was just wondering, how do you raise a chick to be very nice and not to be startled when being held? You know family friendly! I want to because I'm looking to sell my chicks one of my hens is hatching and I want them to very nice when they are older. So what do you guys think I should do? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Are they being raised by a Hen??
    Sounds like Hen raised.......I have Hens raising Chicks too....Mine are 3 weeks old and come running out from under Mom for feed and a visit.....i do not handle my Chickens or Chicks and all my birds are friendly enough......

Cheers!

3. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Thanks for the feedback, it sounds cruel but once the hen hatches them I'll be taking them out of the coop and raise them myself. I do this to her sometimes and she doesn't mind; she is like our natural incubator. Anyways I wanted to see how I can make them extra human friendly.Thanks again!

4. chickens really

No, not cruel.....i just prefer my Hens to do all the hard work and i sell them as they get older....lol....I'm lazy......lol.....I have 7 due to hatch under my broody this week....all are sold once they get feathers and the Hen decides she will no longer mother them....I'm lazy.......

Cheers!

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I am the same way. Less work, less mess, same end results lol

6. chickens really

I also love the fact they learn from mom all the things they need to learn being a Chicken......
    Seam healthier and happier.........My chicks come running out from under Mom when I come...I have never touched them once....They are tame enough......

Cheers!&

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    To answer the original question, how do you raise baby chicks not to be skittish? It comes down to how you handle them.

Baby chicks have an instinct to fear being preyed on from above. They react to anything, including your hand thrusting downward towards them, as an attack, and their instinct is to flee.

What you need to do is to access them from the side and not from up above. It helps to slowly slide your hand across the brooder bottom towards their little feet until you touch them, then wait and let the chick decide to climb onto your hand.

In no time at all, your chicks will enjoy being handled and won't fear the sight of your hand. Continued careful handling as the chicks develop will injure trusting and calm chickens that won't feel they need to flee when you approach.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    The main way I made my chicks friendly was by hand feeding them and sitting with them in my lap at least once a day. I would even cover them with a towel at times so they felt more secure but the hand feeding helped the most. Now when my chicks see my hand go into the pen they run for me thinking they are getting treats.

9. chickens really

I never handle my Chicks and my Hens are all easy to catch and handle if I need too?.........

Cheers!

10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Same here. The thing that makes them hard to catch is if I get out the net because then everyone has a sixth sense that some roosters are moving on to freezer camp lol. Any other time everyone wants to crowd around my feet and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by