how to raise canadian gosling?

ForDucksSake

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
Friend of mine saved one from her dog. its mother is no where to be found (if they matters) and the baby is unharmed he is just scared.. dog had him trapped in between a wall and some plywood in a shed.but couldn't =reach the bird

You'll want to get it to a wildlife rehabber if this is a wild one. It's actually illegal for you to have it if you're in the US and you could face fines and jail time.

Until you get it to a rehabber, it will need a heat source such as a heat lamp to get under when it's cold, and it will need feed. Flock Raiser feed will work the best. If you cannot find that, you can use a basic chick starter, you'll just need to add niacin to it since it will not contain the proper amount of niacin that the gosling will need. And it will need access to water at all times that is deep enough for it to dunk its head in up to the top of its eyes.

Those are the basics and should get you through until you can get it to a rehabber. Also keep your eye out for its mother because the best thing would be to be able to get it back to her.

I've raised many over the years. Hatched some in a cardboard box with a light bulb. They imprinted on me and my family. I was their parent and everyone else was their bro's and sis's. On their first spring most of the males left. Most of the females left in the middle of June to join the Moulting Flight. The females returned to my house in late August to mid September. 3 of the males came home by late September or so. Then a cpl weeks later all flew south but one pair and a cripple winged female. The oddest thing to see is 3 Canada Geese(that's what we call them here) walking around in the coldest days of January with a Merriam's Wild Turkey pair and Mallard drake with a busted wing.
In the spring all bit 1 female returned with males they had met on the Moulting Flight. That's their culture....the females return "home" with males from a different "tribe". That way the culture remains intact.

We fed our goslings 'duck and goose starter' because it's high in protein and non-medicated. Medicated feed will almost surely kill goslings. Especially "natural" breeds and more especially endemic species.
As soon as they were 5 days old they came outside with everyday for at least 2 hrs. I showed how to eat plants and seeds I knew were not harmful to them.
I think the thing I regret most is teaching them to fly. I'm almost positive they'd all still be alive today if I kept them home. But kids gota make their own way sooner or later.
We have 2 pairs that have returned to nest close by every year for the last 6 years. Last summer I rescued 2 males and a female. They were running in an open field with no parents and Hawks flying around. They imprinted on me after a cpl days. The female is still here but the males left in midApril.

Where I live I keep endemic critters if I wish....with all due respect to myself, my family and the critter in question

I actually considered raising Canada Geese and learned a little bit about that from the breeder I spoke with. Captive born must be marked at birth generally by removing a portion of a toe :( To have a wild one in your home you need to be a licensed rehabber or yea you can face fines. We have a large pond and there are always goslings being raised on our property. It's amazing to watch a big line of them go slowly parading by with their babies showing them the world. I just love that time of year and seeing them grow up and then go do geese things with the flock :)

That's a cool story, Rez.

I live in a big Canada goose migration area, and part of my property is federally protected wetland. We always have wild geese in the spring, nesting and raising babies, then leaving until next spring. Once before, a rescue group gave us a human raised juvenile goose in hopes it would leave with next migration, which he did. This year, a wild 2 day old baby showed up in my barn being herded by my geese. His parents were nowhere to be found, so I promptly gave baby to a broody sitting on infertile eggs. That baby is now being raised by his adopted parents. His true parents returned two days later, and they seem to watch over him from afar. The baby may or may not leave when he gets older, and either way I am fine with that.

If you are not equipped for natural raising and release of this baby, I do recommend looking for a local rescue group to take it.

As for raising the baby, he needs heat for the first week, a big stuffed animal to snuggle into, Flockraiser and chopped fresh grass, water in a shallow dish, and a companion baby, if you do not have any geese to give it to. A duckling from your local feed store will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom