HOW to raise Chicks in COLD southeast Nebraska??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LittleMamaBigPapa, Apr 25, 2009.

1. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Hello, I am brand new to BYC. I signed on to begin learning as much as I can about chickens prior to making a commitment. My husband and I have talked about having chickens for years, and now we feel we are ready. However, we have TWO main concerns.
    1. we are concerned about living within city limits. Recently, an article was in the Omaha World Hearld about a couple here in Bellevue, NE who have raised chickens on their lot for over 20 years. Suddenly, a retired police officer, turned city council member, has just placed an order on their door stating they have one week to get rid of the chickens. It turns out, the order was dropped because the ordinance he referenced does not apply, but the city attorneys are trying to see if another order exists to support the order. [​IMG] So, should we move ahead and get our Buff Orpingtons or wait and see how this plays out? We really dont want to move. 2. the other concern is making sure our coop will be adequate for the BITTER COLD weather here. Thank you in advance for your suggestions/support.

2. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Find out if you can have them first... It would be heartbreaking if you had to get rid of them after raising them. Our city says you can have up to 10. After that you need some kind of permit. Oh yeah welcome!

3. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    thank you Tabatha! I was hoping we could sneak them in, but you are so right; it would be so sad to be forced to get rid of them after the fact.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I personally wouldn't get them until you know for sure they are legal to keep where you live. You can do the research yourself by reading through current laws/ordinances/covenants, etc. They are far to easy to get really attached to and it would be hard to get rid of them after having them for a while.

But, some people do keep 'stealth' chickens even when they know they aren't allowed to have them. You need to decide what is right for you.

Lots of people keep chickens in bitter cold temperatures. You want to make sure your coop has NO drafts but does have ventilation. If you are standing inside anywhere and can feel air moving... it's drafty. I would use good insulation covered by a hardboard of some sort so the chickens can't eat it.

Spend some time researching the different chicken breeds and pick breeds that are cold hardy... that will help a lot. You don't want chickens with large combs - they can freeze.

Use 2x4s with the 4" side up for their roosts. That way they will sit on their feet and keep them warm.

And finally.... [​IMG]

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi from out west
    [​IMG]
    I have a speakeasy coop for bootleg eggs
    [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    [​IMG] from MN!
    chickens aren't legal to keep where i live either [​IMG]

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

9. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Welcome, I live in nebraska too.
    I have to keep the chicks in the garage with a heat lamp, and it has worked well for me!
    GOOD LUCK, and its always nice to see a fellow nebraskan on the forum!
    Jason

10. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!

There are a lot of cold-hardy breeds - you'll do fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by