How to raise cockrells to eat? And how to hummanly kill - tell me all

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs Chickens, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Hi all

Wondered if anyone has information on how to raise cockrell for eating? Currently have 3 cockrells which are free ranging with my flock
    but will be looking to remove them in the spring as they will be approx 20/ 25 wks old and will have searved there perpose of helping keep the coop warm in the winter

I want them to be real good for eating so any tips would be appreaciated I have heard that they should be seperated but in a small cage and fattened up is this correct?

Then whats the best way to kill a chciken as have never done before and want to do this the most human way, more for my sake but also for the birds.

Any info appreciated

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi Mrs Chickens - since you are asking lots of questions that have been discussed many many times, my suggestion to you is to use the BYC search bar up there on the right to find threads on the subjects you're asking about. There is a ton of info and you can spend all day reading!!

As for your cockerals, what breed are they? It sounds like they're probably not a breed primarily raised for meat, so leaving them with the flock over the winter is fine, but they probably won't be as tender as the "meaties" you've seen people talk about on here due to the age they'll be. I'd suggest using them in soups, stews or crock pot recipes rather than roasters or fryers, but others may have more suggestions.

Good luck!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Mean roos make the best tamales.

You'll most likely want to use them in a dish that calls for boiling then shreadding the meat, enchladas, chicken tacos, tamales, etc.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

There's no single good answer as far as the best way to kill them. Cutting the blood vessels at the sides of the neck and chopping off the head are probably the two most common methods.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:i agree as there is no best way to kill but i can give you some donts

dont let flop around after you kill (use a killing cone, jaku has them for sale, ) or you will mess up and bruise the carcuss
    dont try to free hand slice ones vain or remove the head
    dont kill too close to the scalding water
    and obvious dont try to dunk 1 as soon as you ve dispatched it

6. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    For us, the best way was to tie their feet together with twine (they didn't flop around much at all that way) and lay them on the chopping block and use an axe or hatchet to do the deed. If the axe or hatchet is very sharp it takes very little effort to do the deed. Hubby used an axe because we did not have a hatchet. But I think that a hatchet would be ideal due to it's size. He sharpened the axe right before doing it. We ended up taking the majority of the birds to the Amish they did it the same way.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I tie a slip knot in a cord and hang them upside down, (feet through the loop) pull the head down with one hand and slice both sides of the neck just under the jaw, very deeply. There's a small area that's bare of feathers, that's where to slice, or you'll just dull the knife. Be sure to pull the head down so that the skin id taut, or it will just slide back and forth and not be sliced. I don't have a cone, but hanging upside down, where they don't hit anything when they flap, they don't get bruised or break any bones.

CW, what do you mean by "free-hand" slicing? Do you mean only using one hand, not pulling skin taut? Or something else?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well what I did was:
    One night when I had the TIME to do it went and got Mr. Biter off the roost. I was going to cut his neck but that didn't turn out too well, so I put his head under a broomstick and yanked his feet up. Very quick death and that's how I intend to do it in the future. He had been free ranging with the flock the day before - I didn't do any special feeding regimen. Some people prefer to withhold food for a period right before but obviously I didn't think it was necessary.
    After you clean him, put him in a cooler or container with icy brine water for a couple of days to rest the muscles.

Read up on here, you'll get lots of ideas and suggestions!!!

9. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:to hold the head and body with 1 hand, folding the neck around the blade of the knife

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:to hold the head and body with 1 hand, folding the neck around the blade of the knife

Yeah, I can see why you'd advise against that. I never heard of anybody doing that, nor would it have occurred to me to try it. Sounds dangerous, and ineffective. Is that an actual technique you've heard of, somewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by