How To Raise Cockrels For Meat? Questions *

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lucyharper123, Jan 14, 2013.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Well I have eggs set due to hatch the 26th of Jan and was thinking what to do with the cockrels as last time we were over run with cock-a-doodle-doo's every where, luckilly a man took them all for free for meat. But this time I have decided to raise them for meat myself and was now wondering:

*What should i feed them (i have loads of barley i've heard barley mash is fatty)?
    *Should i keep them enclosed or free range? or free range for a while and then enclosed or vise versa ?
    *Does it matter what breed they are(mine are all hybreds)?
    *Once culled should i hang them and how long for ? (it will be summer time)
    would love to hear back [​IMG]Thanks.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I hope that helps you!!
    [​IMG]

3. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Thank you [​IMG]

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    *What should i feed them (i have loads of barley i've heard barley mash is fatty)?

Barley by itself is not nutritional enough for a full feed. If you add to the barley other foods or other grains you could definitely feed it to them. You don't really want to build up fat on your birds. You are more looking to build actually flesh (muscle) because that's what we eat.

*Should i keep them enclosed or free range? or free range for a while and then enclosed or vise versa ?

I free range during the day when I am here, especially when they get older because they tend to harass my laying hens. At night I shut them up inside their coop run and that inside a larger run that my Doberman patrols to keep safe from predators.

*Does it matter what breed they are(mine are all hybreds)?

Nope any rooster will taste like chicken the only thing you might want to consider is if your hybrids are made by crossing hatchery layer stock it might not have as much meat on it as a dual purpose bird. This doesn't mean you can use them for meat, you just might have to cook more of them for a meal than you would with a bigger bird.

*Once culled should i hang them and how long for ? (it will be summer time)
    After processing we pluck the birds and remove the inside unedibles and then they are placed in a large bucket with ice water and a little salt in it. and left there while I finish all the other birds. Then it's up to you. I freeze mine right away and then I will rest them in the fridge when I take them out to eat them. You can also rest them in the fridge first and then freeze them. Either way the resting is important to get rid of the rigor they will be undergoing right after processing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by