How to raise free range chickens ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dtl2013, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dtl2013

dtl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2012
    Alabama
    I want to let my gamecock chickens free range but I am to scared they will run away or something. I cant put a fence in the yard. Is there anyway I can keep them in my yard and keep them alive ? [​IMG] I had them for 2 weeks now.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Without a fence it's unlikely you'll succeed. We had fences and my free rangers still escaped. Can't you put them in a moveable run instead? Then you can put them on a fresh piece of ground every few days.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on this, but do you mean you're raising only roosters and they are for fighting? Is that what "gamecock" means? I thought they all got their own houses, is that correct?

I have always free ranged wo/ a fence. Birds come back to sleep in their coop. I suppose if they all had small, individual coops they'd go back to those.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I shut my birds into their coop for a week or two so that they know it is home and then let them free range. I have had a few wander off to the neighbors but they have always come home at bed time. The biggest issue to consider is predators in your area.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How old and what sex are birds involved. Best to use gamefowl instead of gamecock, latter means male. Free ranging multiple requires resources very few people these days have. Gamehens and juveniles a very different story if they are American games.

Post a picture of birds and where they are to be free ranged.

6. dtl2013

dtl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2012
    Alabama
    sorry about that i have a hen and a rooster Phoenix chickens..the hen is 30 weeks and the rooster is a year old...i dont have a pic right now sorrr...il get 1 on here soon

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If the ornamental version of long-tailed fowl then yes you will be able to free range the two birds just fine. I do not know how the roosters tail will fair in your free-range setting but that should not effect survival. Predator management with at very least a secure roosting site will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by