How to raise friendly roosters?

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
So, my mom is really worried because I got two baby chicks (1 month old now) and one of them is most likely a rooster. Today he's pecked her finger for the first time and it brought bad flashbacks from our previous flock, in which there was a really aggressive rooster that practically "held her hostage" in her own house (that's how she says it, because he didn't let her get out to the backyard freely, he attacked her). That rooster wasn't a real problem for me (he was nice at me), but I'd really like my new baby to be friendly, are there any tips to raise friendly roosters? Or if he happens to be like that, there's nothing you can do?

Sorry if it's a stupid question and thanks in advance for your help.

You'll never know how he'll behave until he is older. Don't give him special treatment, treat him like a chicken and never show fear, you're the flock master and not a rival chicken. People who coddle their cockerels more often then not end up getting flogged by them as they see their owners as equals.

Breeder stock are hardly ever aggressive. It's the hatchery birds you never know about.

You can’t really expect hand raising them will help bring out their friendless. It will depend on the individual male. Some are going to have nasty attitude. Some may end up sweet yet protective. It just depend on them. Not us.

Some, just have their own feathered mind.
SQUAWK! SQUAWK!.JPG

I don't think it's really possible to tame any roosters, every chicken/rooster develop there own personality over time based on the environment there in. But there are some breeds that tend to be more aggressive than others. So you'll need to make a lot of observation and watch his behavior. But spending more time in the presence of your flock does make them more calmer.
That's my own personal experience.

So, my mom is really worried because I got two baby chicks (1 month old now) and one of them is most likely a rooster. Today he's pecked her finger for the first time and it brought bad flashbacks from our previous flock, in which there was a really aggressive rooster that practically "held her hostage" in her own house (that's how she says it, because he didn't let her get out to the backyard freely, he attacked her). That rooster wasn't a real problem for me (he was nice at me), but I'd really like my new baby to be friendly, are there any tips to raise friendly roosters? Or if he happens to be like that, there's nothing you can do?

Sorry if it's a stupid question and thanks in advance for your help.
Looks like most people here are of the opinion that trying to tame a roo or make him friendly is a bad idea or won’t work. I happen to be of the opposite opinion (or maybe that’s just because I’m not afraid of aggressive roosters :confused:) .

Anyhoo, all my chicks get handled and cuddled and loved from day one, no matter what they turn out to be. All the roosters I’ve hand raised (with the exception of one) have been nice roosters, and I never worry about ending up with a mean rooster. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

At about 5 months old a roo might start acting more aggressive - his hormones acting up. A RIR roo I had years ago decided to try to attack me at about that age, so I just didn’t let him push me around and made sure to pick him up a lot to show him I was boss. They usually calm down after they turn a year or so old. My Gerard (the Buff Orpington in the pictures I included for positive encouragement) had a habit of pecking me if I ran my hand down his back. Now he’ll sit on my legs and sidle up to me for cuddles. But he’s also one of the more docile breeds (do you know the breeds of yours?)

I don’t know if there is a secret, and many people have disagreed with me, but I do think it’s possible to raise nice roos. But like some people have said above, some will just be butt heads, it‘s just this has not been my experience.

Also, chickens peck, not always out of aggression. If your littles are only a month old, it’s most likely a curious peck. Is there a way you can convince your mom not to be afraid of chicken pecks? I think that’s the first step in living peacefully with our feathered friends :wee.

Alright, that is all for now! Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps and I wish you luck! I always like having roosters around :love.

Attachments

• 9C8C2EA5-7BAC-4914-9CC6-FF9BA28CF8C7.jpeg
    9C8C2EA5-7BAC-4914-9CC6-FF9BA28CF8C7.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 10
  • B47759A4-58E4-48AB-BA69-2102945F96E5.jpeg
    B47759A4-58E4-48AB-BA69-2102945F96E5.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 3A2DEE50-129E-40DA-8A25-475D1850CFFE.jpeg
    3A2DEE50-129E-40DA-8A25-475D1850CFFE.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 505DB4B6-1BD4-421B-8208-14F4C10A9D60.jpeg
    505DB4B6-1BD4-421B-8208-14F4C10A9D60.jpeg