1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to raise humidity in incubator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by big red chicken, Apr 2, 2009.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I have the cardboard box incubator and have hatch eggs before with this project, however this one isn't going so well. My humidity is very very low and no matter what I do It will not come up. I have sponges around the top have extra water in the box that isn't working help me please:(

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    hmmmmmmm. whats the cardboard box one?

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ya know, i wouldnt be to worried about it. some people dont even use humidity to incubate.....

4. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    you take one cardboard box and place a smaller one inside of that one, in between the boxes you have strips of newspaper between the boxes then tape the flap for insulation. you put 4 holes in the boxes for ventalation, but cover them if your humidity is down. So of course mine are cover, you put the 60 watt lite in the bottom of the box with a 9in pan underneath the 1/4 wire on top of the pan.

5. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I'm glad to hear that because I have done all that I know to do. I hope I get a good hatch. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. KSPixieChick

KSPixieChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2008
    Your humidity will increase if you increase the area that is holding the water. You can try for a foil pan that is inexpensive from a grocery store or bend one into shape using heavy duty foil. We tried this for our home-made incubator and it worked very well. Good luck.

7. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    have you tried lining the box with somethign non porous (the outside box maybe, not the one by the eggs) with something like aluminum foil?

You can also run a humidifier in the room to raise the overall humidity if nothing else is working.

good luck

8. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    thank you sooooooooooo much i will try them all!!!!!!!!!!!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What are you using to measure humidity? For instance, many people use that AcuRite with the probe, but they think the probe measures humidity (nope). The entire unit must be inside to read humidity. Common mistake. What unit do you have?

10. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    i have the general springfeild thermometer has the temp at the top and a fivety cent size circle to the bottom of it that indicates the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by