How to raise humidity or do I need to?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychickas, Sep 9, 2009.

1. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Ok, my silkie eggs are on lockdown. The rings are full, i have 2 plastic bowls of water in there temp has been steady and humidity is at 53 I was reading it needs to be between 60-70 for lockdown. I have searched and mainly found info that said make sure rings are full, bowls of water, sponges etc. These guys are due to hatch on Friday is there anything else I can do to raise it, or will they be fine with what I have already done? Thank you [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would guess with all of that water in there, your hygrometer is off. I would leave it be. Good luck with your hatch.

3. luvmychickas

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    ok thank you [​IMG] I just got a cheap on at walmart so maybe i need to get a better one [​IMG] thank you for your reply [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree with with Jody...with that much water I'd say your gauge is off.

5. luvmychickas

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thank you, is there such a thing as too much water? The bowls I have in there maybe hold 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water each and then the rings.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is not the volume of water that affects humidity, but the surface area. yes, too much is not good either. Although we really don't know if you have too much since the guage seems to be off. Can you get another one to slip in to make sure you're not flooding them?

7. luvmychickas

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I will buy a new one today [​IMG] I really thought too with the water that the humidity in there was low LOL.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    luvmy--don't buy a new hygrometer! Even good quality ones are usually "off" by a few degrees. When this hatch is complete, you can calibrate your hygrometer. Do a search on this forum & you'll get instructions for that. [​IMG] Then you'll know how much it's off and can calculate the true humidity for your next hatch.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, you can use any hygrometer if you calibrate it, which will tell you if and how much it's off, high or low, and you can add or subtract from the reading to get the real humidity.

10. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    full rings and two bowls of water is what we use in the same bator that you have. plug the holes on the top and let them rest after about 24 hours the reading will probably go up some. we usualy see a slow increase from the start of lockdown till the actual hatch.
    You should be fine. [​IMG]
    after this hatch, I agree that you should calibrate but if it succesful and you repeat the same numbers and process on your next hatch you will know what you are looking for.
    we bought the same hygrometer and know that if it reads about 60 we have a good hatch so that is the number we look for, but each one is slightly different. keep us updated please. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by