how to raise humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fshinggrl, Apr 19, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, Lockdown was this morning. I had my hubby fill the reservoirs up and a sponge. My humidity is staying at about 35%. How do I raise it? I have been having some issue with temp.

2. lamNervousNellie

lamNervousNellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Wet sponges, wet paper towels, small dishes of water.. Add as many as you need to get the humidity to where you want/need it to be. Avoid opening up the bator a lot. I usually add water through a vent hole, and wait about 30-60 mins for the environment to adjust and for the hygrometer to catch up. (Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate?) Try plugging your vent hole(s) if they aren't already. If all else fails, try hooking up a humidifier in the room with your bator. I'm no expert, but theses things have worked for me. Good luck!

3. ecse129

ecse129 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    If at all possible, I would try raising the humidity without plugging the vent holes because they need ventilation.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Wet porous rocks or peaces of brick or block work wonders.

5. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    you can put a straw in the plug hole an use a baster to put more water in the resivoir.

6. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Thank you for the suggestions!

7. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I just checked my bator. Humidity sat at about 38-40 for the entire time. Now with full resevoirs, all plugs in and a sponge full of water it is sitting at 35%. What to do?

8. Stevenson

Stevenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    I put a bowl of water in front of my fan so that the wind would disrupt the surface. My humidity went from 46 to 61 within 20 minutes. Of course this is on a homemade incubator, I don't know what you're using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by