How to raise meanworms as chicken treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CrazyCatCulby, Jan 22, 2012.

1. CrazyCatCulby

CrazyCatCulby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Hello! I like to feed my hens the dried mealworm treats, but they eat them so quickly, I was wondering if I could raise mealworms to feed them. I need to know where to get them, what to feed them, and when to give them to my chickens. If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thanks--CrazyCatCulby

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Check your thread title (but please don't change it, it's great!)

I can totally see those "mean" worms terrorizing my chickens.

Thanks for a much needed laugh and please don't be offended!

4. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I've thought about this as the dried worms are so expensive BUT I am afraid the bugs would get out and get into my cereal and flour. Does this happen? Do I need to be concerned?

If not, I'm going to start some right away.

Becky in NoDa

5. CrazyCatCulby

CrazyCatCulby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    LOL!!! I did put MEANworms in the title!!! LOL!!!!!![​IMG]

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Read through all the last posts. Anyone know if you can start up just by using the mealworms that they sell at the pet store, or do they have to be ordered from a farm? I mean, the pet stores don't sell sterile ones or anything like that, right?

7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have mealworms and they are easy to raise. Do your self a favor and buy 1000 on ebay. They are like under 20.00 shipped and will multiply fast. Throw some oats or bran in a fish tank and the worms. A carrot and apple slice or celery now and then. Feed stores are real pricy. for like 25 worms its 3-5 bucks.

8. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks for answering so quick. We have a local pet store here (not a big box store) that must raise their own, because I can get 100 for about 3 bucks. I've gotten them many times over the years for various lizards and frogs. I want to get started as quickly as possible and dont want to wait for shipping. LOL I've just never raised them and from reading these threads about how much the chickens love them - once I get mine, it's gonna be hard to deny them such a yummy treat! [​IMG]

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I would get a load like 1000 and let them sit for a month and start to grow. Good luck oh and if you are raising show birds then dont get to crazy on feeding a load to the birds because they are real high in proteen(sp) and will make combs grow big if fed to many.

Quote:

10. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    In October, someone gave me about 100 mealworms. I put them in a plastic tote, about 10X18X6" high. Used chicken feed, oats and rye flour for their bedding, about an inch thick. The beetles can't climb up the slick plastic sides. I now have thousands of little meal worms. Easy peasy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by