1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Raisie Competitive Market Ducks for Show

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sether55, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Sether55

Sether55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hi! I have been doing a lot of research on how to raise market ducks for show and I haven't had too much luck on how to raise them to be competitive in a show. I know they should have constant high protein feed but should I let them swim all the time? I thought that that would make the meat lean. Do you want that? I am getting ducks from a duck pool.

2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

What breed are you getting?

Ducks do live to swim - I mean love to swim ;) so I'm sure any ducks would appreciate some kind of pool. I would think that swimming = exercise = leaner meat but I think most duck meat is going to be a lot fattier than chicken.

Last year, my husband smoked a duck from the farmers market and it was a amazing! Not as quite as greasy as we were expecting - probably because the fat was allowed to drip off into a shallow pan. I then added the drippings to the bones to make smoked duck broth - fabulous for potato soup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by