How to re-introduce healed chicken back to flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by attached_mama, Sep 20, 2010.

1. attached_mama

attached_mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Outskirts of Pittsburgh
    Dang it. Our hen got her head stuck in the run fence, and another chicken started to eat her alive.[​IMG]
    She's been healing in a cage in our basement, and it all scabbed over and mostly healed. I sprayed her with blukote, and took her to the run for SUPERVISED visitation with the flock, as she's been lonely. As soon as I tried to lower her to the ground, another chicken (normally very docile) ATTACKED HER. I have never seen ANY of my hens attack like that. She attacked her from the front- not where she was injured. What the heck? Did they know she was hurt, or did they think she was a new chicken?

How the heck do I get them to get along?

If I put our healing hen back in the run, in her own cage, will she be ok do you think? or will they torture her from outside the cage? I can't keep her in the basement much longer.

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I hope someone can help you. I healed a sick bird once. I kept Missy out of the pen for about 2 weeks. The other girls beat on her bad during the day when I tried to return her. Bad enough that Missy lived out her remaining time free range during the day, and only slept with the other girls at night. I put her in after the other girls went to bed. In the morning, I would open the egg bin, and she would jump out into my arms. She did not want to be around the others.

3. chickadiddle

chickadiddle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    I am going thru the same - I had a bantam roo attacked by a hawk and dropped - so I had him in a dog crate in the basement for a week. NOw, no one wants him back, he cowers in the corner of the coup, poor guy. I put him in a large rabbit cage with food and water and am going to try and re-introduce him back into the flock. Jeeze, it was only a week and they all turned on him. It never happened with any of the hens I did this with.

4. attached_mama

attached_mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Outskirts of Pittsburgh
    I've been keeping her in her own cage, outside of the run during the day. At night, I put her cage in the run, with the other hens locked up in the coop. I hope after doing this for a couple weeks, after she's healed they'll all get along again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by