1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to read feed exp dates, how to tell if feed is ok.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunflour, Dec 1, 2013.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a bag of layena feed and the expiration label states: 3 SEP18GNS2B1. My chix are eating it without problems, but I am concerned. The feed smells fine, but looks brown. Previous bags of the same product appeared yellow. ? is this 2003, 2013? Should I discard and buy new feed?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Chances are a number did not get printed next to the "3" and it is from 2013. If it were from 2003, no doubt the feed would smell funky. Generally, they say that feed will last about 3 months after the use by date. Feed gets old and stale, and the nutrients start to break down. The color of the feed will fade as well when it becomes stale.

But all this being said, if the bag was stored properly, not left in an over heated shed, bugs or rodents were not allowed to have a field day in this bag, I would say to continue using it, as long as they are going to consume it relatively quickly. Don't keep feeding from this bag in another month or two. If you are too concerned, then go ahead and get another bag.

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thank you, will go ahead and get new feed this week.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I think the dates on bags like Layena are the manufacturing date not the expiration date. I have never seen expiration dates on my feed. It means it was made on Sept.3 or 3 months ago.

1 person likes this.
  5. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    The colors and texture of the feed can vary quite a bit from one batch to the next, Make sure rotate your stock, keep in a cool place and discard if it gets damp or smells funky.

1 person likes this.
  6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    In case anyone else notices the darker looking feed, I posted this issue on Purina's ask the expert site and they advised me that the date is the manufactured date, product has a 6 month shelf life, and that the feed is darker in cooler months because they add more molasses.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by