How to read Temp in Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by R&RCoop, Oct 28, 2009.

1. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    So my wife and I have been looking on this forum for a long time and have found a lot of great information. We finally came up with a question we could not find on the search feature. Hope everyone can help.

We have a broody hen that has been sitting on fertile eggs (we think) have candled 1 white one, but others are brown so we have not attempted to candle those. Anyway they are supposed to hatch Friday or Saturday (30/31). We are getting the brooder ready and have found there is a temperature difference if the thermometer is sitting on the shavings or is in the air. So which temperature should we be going by? There is about a 10 degree difference is the main reason we are asking.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Put the thermometer just above the bedding right under the light. It should read 95*F.
    If you lay it on the bedding it will give a false low reading. Once the chicks are in there use there actions as a thermometer. If they crowd under it its to cold if they run from it its to hot. They should be all over the brooder.

3. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thank you for the help. We will watch the chicks once they are in, just trying to get it close before then. I will go set it up that way now!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If a hen is brooding & raising them, I don't think you need the temp. to be 95 degrees. It could be quite a bit cooler and she'll take care of them.
    There's lot of folks that believe chicks raised by the hen fare much better than we humans can do and I'm one of them. She'll teach them everything they need to know about living in this great big world.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by