How to Register as a Farm in NYS

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by train2110, Sep 16, 2011.

1. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    Does anyone know what the requirements are to register as a farm in New York State? I know the local town zoning says 10 acre min. for a farm, but wondering what the state says. I have been all over the internet visiting many state websites and can not find anything. Any help on where to look or requirements would be VERY helpful!

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Geez, I'm out of touch. Farmers have to register with the government?

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    You know, I was looking for the same requirements for Ga. I dont even know where to find how many acres it has to be.

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
  5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    your trying to register to become tax expemt right?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I know the insurance company said a need more acres to be insured as a "farm".... [​IMG]

7. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Seriously. I am not kidding this time. Why do farmers have to register?

Taxes? Insurance? Inspections?

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I believe you can register as a "farm business" an get a tax number to be tax exempt in many states.
    I haven't but I believe that's an option in Ga. In some other states (Al I think) Ag. product's are tax exempt to everyone.

I think if you are making a big profit on the farm you also need to register as a farm business for tax reasons.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We're not registered with anyone as a farm....We qualify to be a farm since 100% of our income comes from what we grow here on our farm. That is how we file our taxes as a farm.

My brother in law also farms but he has several rental houses so the income from them pushes him out of being able to file as a farm when it's tax time.

10. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thank you for the clarification! The tax ID number, as I now remember, is for businesses the purchase supplies and wholesale without paying sales taxes to produce . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by