How to rehab injured legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marvun22, Oct 19, 2014.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I had a chicken that has had partial paralysis (I think, not completely sure) for about a month or two. At first I just had to help her eat or drink and then after I got her to eat or drink I would try to help her get her legs better. But recently I had some family medical problems that distracted me severely and I just now remembered to go on this website and ask for advice.

So how would I rehab her injured legs and help her gain mobility back? Both her legs currently stick out in front of her. How can I get them under her again? And is there any kind of food I could use that gives her leg strength back or gets her to gain more weight (she's lost a decent amount).

Minus the fact that she can't move, she acts normal. Now she eats and makes all your average chicken noises. She flaps her wings a bunch, but I think that's to try to move.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What were her symptoms at first when you noticed her having trouble with her legs? Did she have any toe curling (into a claw,) sitting on her hocks or elbows, or weakness of one or both legs? Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Some chickens can suffer from vitamin or mineral deficiencies that affect the legs, and there are also bone and tendon deformities that get worse with age. I would treat her with a good poultry vitamin daily, and give her some scrambled egg along with boosting her protein with 20 or 24% chick feed or gamebird feed. Mareks disease would be something I would worry about since it can cause paralysis or one or both legs or wings. Here are some links to read about Mareks:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Many people will use chicken slings to place the chicken upright--here are some pictures of homemade slings:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    She did have a Merek's vaccination. The only original problem was the leg problem. She could sort of move them at first, but then she just lost full mobility. And she wouldn't eat or drink for a while after that, but now she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by