1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to reintegrate a hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JulieNKC, Jun 4, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My production red was sick. I'm not sure what was wrong with her. At first I thought it was worms, so I wormed her. I think she had sour crop though, her breath stank and her crop was huge and squishy. I made her throw up a ton of nasty brown stuff. She's been inside the past 4 day, the worming and acv in her water seem to have done the trick though. Her crops normal, her poops normal. She's still skinny but has her appetite back and is acting like her old self again, following me around begging and growling. The problem is she doesn't want to rejoin the flock. I added a roo the day before she got sick so don't know if she doesn't approve of him or what. She's hanging around with me or by herself outside. Last night I couldn't find her, finally found her around midnight sleeping behind the coop. I got her with another hen 4 or 5 months ago. Should I lock those 2 up together so she'll have a buddy when she tries to rejoin the flock? Should I just let her be a loner until she feels like going back? I have quite a few mini flocks. My leghorns and EE are one, my bantams and picked on BO are another, and the rest are all one. So she has plenty of cliques to choose from. She was top hen, maybe she wants her energy back before she claims her spot back? Any tips? Thanks!

2. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Well, she fell asleep tonight by my front door so she is back in her box in the kitchen. Maybe I should just get her a chicken diaper. I am thinking she likes being a house chicken. Or maybe she likes the old roo (me) better than the new one.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is it her choice to stay apart, or are the other chickens bullying her? If it's the former, I wouldn't worry about it, but if it's the latter, getting her a buddy could help.

4. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    The other chickens aren't bullying her. I think I'm goint to leave her in the front yard and bring her in at night for a week or so, to give her a chance to get her energy back. Then I'll try again.

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I have an injured hen and am trying to find out how to do the same thing....
    I [​IMG] made [​IMG] a [​IMG] chicken [​IMG] diaper [​IMG] last [​IMG] night [​IMG]

I told my daughter... (she is 14) NO, NO, NO, NO, NO we will NOT have a house chicken... I still hope this is temporary. I can see her wanting to bring in a silkie, but this is a huge BSL.

By the way.. she does NOT like her diaper, but she does like to walk around the kitchen.

6. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I looked up chicken diapers last night. I'm thinking I am going to dig through my kids swimsuits to see if I can find one that fits, and alter it into a diaper. [​IMG] The last thing I need right now is a house chicken, but she seems determined to be one. [​IMG] Nest sick hen is going in a dog kennel in the garage. I think it was being in the kitchen and getting treats everytime i walked in there and as I was cooking that did it. [​IMG]

7. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:I looked up chicken diapers last night. I'm thinking I am going to dig through my kids swimsuits to see if I can find one that fits, and alter it into a diaper. [​IMG] The last thing I need right now is a house chicken, but she seems determined to be one. [​IMG] Nest sick hen is going in a dog kennel in the garage. I think it was being in the kitchen and getting treats everytime i walked in there and as I was cooking that did it. [​IMG]

That may work... This girl was so patient... she was measured and had to do fittings for about an hour. Today was extremely hot so I brought in the girl that didn't get hurt to stay the day with her in the bathroom... Her tail went from hanging down to up and seems much happier.

I may do this for a few days before trying to put the injured one back out. I am worried,however, she may never get back out due to the injuries.. that is why I agreed on the diaper.

Hey... I wonder if you could bring a friend in with her and let them become buddies while trying to introduce her back out? At least bring the other one inside with her at night? I don't know... maybe that may help.

8. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City

That may work... This girl was so patient... she was measured and had to do fittings for about an hour. Today was extremely hot so I brought in the girl that didn't get hurt to stay the day with her in the bathroom... Her tail went from hanging down to up and seems much happier.

I may do this for a few days before trying to put the injured one back out. I am worried,however, she may never get back out due to the injuries.. that is why I agreed on the diaper.

Hey... I wonder if you could bring a friend in with her and let them become buddies while trying to introduce her back out? At least bring the other one inside with her at night? I don't know... maybe that may help.

That's what I think I am going to do. She seems a lot better, but is still really thin. I've been feeding her the turkey's gamebird starter, figuring the extra protein will help fatten her back up quickly. I think tomorrow I will bring one of the other hens up to stay during the day with her in the front yard and see if they stick together or if she still wants by herself.

9. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Let me know how it works.

10. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I will. She was waiting by my front door last night again though. Think I'll bring up my lil BO who hangs out with the silkies casuse the big girls pick on her today and see if they hang out. Will try to go easy on the treats while they are inside tonight, last thing I need is 2 spoiled chickens falling asleep at my front door waiting to be let in for the night. Although it does make for a pretty predator proof coop for the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by