How to reintroduce recovered chicken back into the flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarieNC, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    My hen Cornelia Marie has been separated from the rest of the flock for a couple of months from two crop surgeries. She actually had been living in my kitchen for the last month. Yesterday I put her back in the coop in a separate stall from the other 5 hens and she can't intermingle with them at all. But there will come a time when I want to reintroduce her to the rest of the group. How can I reintroduce her to the group so that they eventually all play well together again...well as well as chickens CAN play with each other.

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    Can they all see one another? Well, after a bit of that, maybe take one of your friendlier hens and put her in with your newbee. Then introduce both of them into the flock and say a little prayer. Are all her wounds healed/concealed now?

3. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    Quote:They can see each other when they're roosting at night. Her wounds are covered in small feathers, now. I want to make sure she can tolerate the same diet as the rest of the girls before I put them all back together. I brought my friendliest hen (Frances) in the house to visit with her and she wanted to kick Frances' fuzzy butt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by