How to remove fumes from new crib ASAP?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Aug 17, 2013.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I bought a Graco Ashland white crib and set it up the other day but had to leave shortly after. When we came back the room had fumes so bad we got headaches and had to take it apart and move it to another room. I never thought of a baby crib smelling toxic.

I have since opened the window and used warm soapy water on it. I thought it had helped till I had to shut the window cause of the rain. I might give vinegar a try today.

I'm wanting the fumes gone soon cause my son is 4 months old and needs moved out of his bassinet cause it is now to small. Never had any thoughts of a crib smelling from glues or varnishes. I thought they aired them out before packaging them to not have that problem.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have never had this problem with any new furniture. If I were you I would put it outside in a protected area like a covered porch for a while if I could. The fresh air will help dissipate the fumes better than just about anything. I would also call the manufacturer first thing Monday morning and see what they suggest.

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I sent an email to the manufacturer to see what they say. I placed bowls of vinegar under the pieces but the room now smells of fumes over top of the vinegar.

I may have to take it back but I don't know what brand of crib to order. I don't want to mess with fumes again and we are tight on money so I don't want to spend a bunch on a new one.

I did buy a mattress that didn't smell luckily but it doesn't help when the crib stinks.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's really strange. If the smell doesn't go away in a couple days (I know after staining you have to let it air out a few days for the smell to go away) I would return it and buy a different crib. Definitely contact the company as well and let them know what happened.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    You might consider using a sealant on the crib that is low in toxins and synthetic chemicals. Natural shellac is one option, though you would have to keep up with it durability wise. Might not be a bad thing to consider no matter what crib you go with. There are many synthetic chemicals they are finding are disrupting endocrine systems in industrialized societies, which some suspect ties in with our rapidly increasing auto-immune and allergy issues.

6. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    You might consider using a sealant on the crib that is low in toxins and synthetic chemicals. Natural shellac is one option, though you would have to keep up with it durability wise. Might not be a bad thing to consider no matter what crib you go with. There are many synthetic chemicals they are finding are disrupting endocrine systems in industrialized societies, which some suspect ties in with our rapidly increasing auto-immune and allergy issues.

7. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011

8. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    oop, problem with browser multi-posting

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I think the finish on your crib may be defective. Maybe someone at the factory used the wrong product. A new item may off gas a little, but not like you describe. You are probably entitled to a replacement. You can't use that one. Especially not for a baby.

10. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I didn't notice the smell as bad today when I walked into the room. It is getting hotter out each day so that might help. I'm going to glance for another crib and try to get a hold of the factory. They don't have anymore of the same crib or other white ones at the store. Not sure what brand to go with. There was one called Dream on Me but I don't know how good it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by