1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to rig nipple waterer on Catawba-style (a-frame) chicken tractor?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KansasKate, Jun 27, 2011.

1. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Anyone have any idea how to rig up a nipple-style waterer on a Catawba chicken tractor? Those are the A-frame kind with the roost on top. I have 4 girls in there and the run is tight enough as it is; I have to reach in to change the water and the girls think it's free-range time. That and regular waterers are just, well, gross.

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    If i understand you I would hang it from the the top of the run from the 4x4 or 2x at the end where you can reach it.....if you dont have alot of room in side you could use a 2 gallon instead of a five or better yet mount it on the out side of the coop or run where ever is convienant and run the water out the bottom of the bucket through a piece of hose into a pvc pipe with the nipples.....If it were me I would build a little shelf right where the coop and run meet and pipe the water down into the run where they can get to it and run a few outside to so they have water when they are out of the run. Hope this helps good luck [​IMG]

3. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    This is something that I am currently try to do as well. I think that I am going to come up with some sort of portable, lightweight stand for the bucket that can be placed beside the coop and I will have pvc with the nipples enter the run near the door. I am thinking of getting a quick disconnect that way I can secure the pvc with nipples to the bottom of the coop inside the run and just disconnect the bucket move the coop and then reconnect. If I get something figured out I will post pictures. Right now I'm just using a regular plastic waterer that I have to clean out at least twice a day. I would also like to be able to leave my house for more than a day so that is another reason the nipples appeal to me, I still haven't ordered them yet because I want to figure out how I'm going to use them first. If you come up with a way I would love to hear about it.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I got my nipple setup about 10 days ago. It is working out great. The chickens will learn in the 1-2 day. I used 6 gallons bucket connect to 6 feet water hose and attached to the PVC water pipe with 4 nipples. I current have 5 adult chickens and the water will last me about 6 weeks. My recommend is getting the round type nipple, rather than the one with hex shape (super flow). It is much more superior & rugged in design. Oh yeah... I am attach the automatic 50lbs feeder on the coop 24" off the ground today. I do need to add the few steps so the chicken can jump on the treader tomorrow.

5. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I would love to see a picture of all this attached to your coop.

6. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

7. Donna in Montana

Donna in Montana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I wish my chickens/guineas would learn to USE those nipples. We've had them in the coop for 3 months and have yet to see one being used. It's probably my fault as I have a dog dish and a 'chick waterier' (the red plastic bottoms you attach a canning jar with water to) in the pen as well. We have one main pen with babies and adults in it and the chicks wouldn't be able to use the nipples. I saw one hen give a peck at a nipple a week or so after putting it up but they prefer the chicks water. I would think they would prefer the fresh water to water that inevitably gets dirt in it, mostly from the duck and goose swishing their bills in the water... they're so funny.

Our duck and goose drink from their 'pond' or one of the water holders outside the coop that you fill up, set on the 'cover' and the water fills up the trough as the water level is lowered but they sleep in the coop where it's safe and every morning the dog dish is muddy.

Maybe when all the babies are grown and that's the only water in the pen they'll pay attention to it.

8. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I have heard you pretty much have to eliminate other water sources in order to get them to use the nipples. I haven't ordered my nipples yet, but when I do I will have to take out the other water dish at least for the summer.

9. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Yup they will not figure it out with the water source that they are used to still available....take it away they will figure it out but watch them close if its hot out to make sure all of them got it down

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Here are my nipple waterer setup and automatic treader feeder.

The waterer setup is 6 gal sit on 5 gal bucket with full of water to support the weigh of thetop bucket. I will raise it up about 2-4 more inches higher soon.

[​IMG]

The automatic treader feeder setup build with 3/4" plywood. The front side is double sheet plywood so I can adjust how much the cover opening by adding the bolt underneath the treader. The original plan is let its sit on ground with roof covering on top. But my concern: 1) Some young chicks or chickens will got whack on the head if eating from the side or not heavy enough to push down the treader. 2) The life of the feeder will be reduce if sit on the ground. 3) More dirty sit on ground. 4)My shipping box coop is small (~30"x33"x68") so extra room help. 5) Since the chicks are not free range, this give them more exercise in the 20'x20' run. 6) less problem dealing with rat/mouse. 7) Keep the feeder dry as it rain to much here in Washington state.

By the way, the automatic feeder weight about 30-35lbs alone and hold about 50lbs of feed. The weigh require to open the feeder lid is 2.5 lbs. After some adjustment, it now open at 1.5lbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by