How to safely integrate a feral?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cochinGurl, Oct 11, 2015.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    Hello, I'm in the process of rehabbing a feral pigeon I found with a broken leg. It's going well and I've decided id like to keep him/her and let them live with my homers when he's healed. My question is what precautions and things do I need to do before introducing it to my birds? I am worming it with moximectin plus pigeon wormer, and diatomaceous earth for external parasites. What else should I do so he's safe to add to my flock? Should the quarantine time be longer for a feral than an average pigeon? I usually quarantine for 3 weeks. Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm always concerned about introducing canker to the flock through ferals. They seem to be more resistant to a particularly virulent form of canker. I would treat the bird with metronidazole (fishzole) prior to adding it to your flock.

3. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    Thank you, is there a brand you suggest? What dosage do you use? I have some canker tablets but I think they may be too old to use, do you how long do they are viable? Mine are a few years old.. Thank you for your advise

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Quite right! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think once they get canker treatment treats the outbreak, but they may relapse during times of stress.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by