How to safely mark hens for egg laying

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I have a few hens that I do not wish to hatch from, and I'm wondering how I can mark their eggs since they all lay blue eggs. I have heard of marking their vents with lipstick, but as a woman who has worn lipstick, I know it is uncomfortable and very drying to the skin. Is there something else (non irritating) I can use to mark the hens?

I have a few hens that I do not wish to hatch from, and I'm wondering how I can mark their eggs since they all lay blue eggs. I have heard of marking their vents with lipstick, but as a woman who has worn lipstick, I know it is uncomfortable and very drying to the skin. Is there something else (non irritating) I can use to mark the hens?
Food coloring around the vent is a pretty old way to do it. And you can always isolate the other hens if that's an option. @EmmaRainboe

I have not used any method other than not keeping any hens that I don't want to hatch from. I'd never use lipstick anyway, no way am I going to try to explain to my wife why I'm putting lipstick on a hen's vent. Just not going to happen.

I have read posts by people that have used food coloring. You put it in the vent in the morning before they lay the egg. From the night before it might get expelled overnight. If I were using it for your purpose I'd use it to mark eggs I do want to incubate. If the stain is there you know you have the right egg. If it is not stained did she expel it?

Other than separation I don't know of any other method.

If you're trying to start breeding I'd cull the undesirable birds. If you have a reason to keep them, then I'd either separate the undesirables or the ones you've chosen as breeding worthy for a few days while you collect eggs. Ideally I'd want the temporary enclosure right next to the current run to ease reintegration.

What was your technique?

I used gel, applied in the evening. I put it inside of the vent mostly instead of just the outside. I re-apply every 4 days.
Blue works the best from what I've seen.
Good subject for an article....lots of details and pics.

Back
Top Bottom